Friday, May 15, 2009

How Oliver Twist'ed my days...

Guys ridiculed me when I joined the dramatics club. My reasoning behind that decision was - At first, there would be no bodily harm which was the case in many sporting clubs (hence I stuck to the Rifle Club and during athletic meets, I used be a part of the school band!!!); the second reason being that, if my luck spun well, this would get me into the world of celluloid ( I was and still fascinated by the glim-glam world of film and photography - None of which actually materialized) But I did have my share of fun and distress with this branch.


Everything seemed perfect, when our drama club was invited to Hebrons (A top notch British international school). Once the invitation was announced in our morning assembly, we met with a huge influx of applications to join the club, even though the deadline dates to sign up for clubs were done about 5 months ago. Hebrons was one of those schools where they had an impressive opposite sex ratio - hence the influx.

For once, people around me were trying to pull strings with me, in order to get on that bus to Hebrons. I decided to make profit out of the offers, though in the end I knew I could always say, that I tried my best to put their names on the list, but that stubborn teacher, did'nt permit.


We were in our best outfits. Some of us borrowed our school blazers from the disciplined and well kept students. I remember our accompanying professor complaining of the whiff of cologne. We were just short of taking bath in it. The dramatics club members who untill a few days back were a bunch of bozos and rejects, were given a heroes departure.

The drama went well and we were all so involved and blown away with the performances. Though every time I was drawn towards the Oliver Twist character. Some thing didn't seem right about him. He was just too feminine in every action, but I wrote that off to the character being enacted.

Time comes when each character was being felicitated. Our main character is called upon, as Natasha Singh, who came up and pulled off her English cap, and I was caught gaping. At that time, there was nothing but Natasha Singh in my nut. Fireworks in every corner of my head, I was smitten by this girl. She was cute, bubbly, and was the center of attention for that evening. All I wanted to do was to jump off my seat and do something stupid that would catch her attention!!! I didn't waste time in approaching her and expressing my surprise. She shook hands and thanked us as a whole (since I was blinded by this enterprising girl, I thought she thanked me specially) for attending the drama. For nights and days to follow, the hot topic was Natasha Singh. As time flew, everything simmered down, and Natasha got lost in some corner.


A year passes by. Its the Inter School Football final for the Super-Senior Division. We won the junior and senior divisions and our batch would rewrite history if we won our division too. Winning all three divisions, would be a feat that was last accomplished about 4 years back. Drums, horns, voice boxes, anything and everything that would make a noise rolled out. We were a bunch of let loose hooligans who had the license to do anything we wanted, provided we help our team win. As destiny had it, Hebrons was playing against us. We were glad that a co-ed school was playing against us, because their whole school would be on our grounds and if anything we would have a good cheer battle session. To add to our excitement, Hebrons was the only school who had an all-girls cheer squad. So that added to our vigour in cheering.

Half time comes through, I decide to quench my parched voice box..I keep walking towards our canteen and this voice excuses herself - asking me directions to the washroom. It hit me then, I knew it then and there, I turned and she stood right there - a tad taller, longer hair yet with the same features that made me weak in my knees, a year ago.

I whispered Natasha and I am so glad, she didn't catch me on that. Against the slightest hope of she recognizing me, she enquired about the washroom again, in her thick British accent. I still beat myself on what happened after. I spoke anything but English and when I realised, nothing would work, I stopped talking..I guided her to the washroom whilst she had this weird look on her face. Only if she knew what ran through me. I disappeared fearing, i would do something really dumb (At that moment, dumbness ranged from cheering for Hebrons to pleading to the Hebrons director to make me one of their own)

Call it a fantasy, probably it was her accent or it was her sheer innocence, Ms Singh troubled me through the rest of the game. We ended up winning but yet for once I did not want that game to end fearing her departure and never getting to see her again. I kept gathering courage to at least go up to her and apologize for the weird behaviour. Just when I found enough, I saw her bus disappears through our gates. I felt like i let her go through the gaps of my fingers. I did not feel too dejected that day, since we won and the excitement of the celebrations to follow buried my dejection of missing out on Natasha.

I smirk, every time I think of how destiny decided to tease me,TWICE. I am positive that she never even remembers that comical character who showed her to the washroom. Yet I had a lesson learnt, ever since - to never procrastinate on ANYTHING!
I guess, had she known me as a person, bigger catastrophes would have taken place

(ye ye! call it sour grapes)

8 comments:

Unknown said...

that was really a gud one.i never thought u were so serious.......shld hve accompanied her till the wash room lol...y didnt u tel her abt ur meetin.....................

Anonymous said...

this was so entertaining .. its lik sumthin ud see in the movies.. hehe.. i really enjoyed reading this.. keep writing ..

Unknown said...

Tsk tsk Chandu...grow a pair and track her down! Let her see the man you have evolved into. You have evolved....haven't you? On a serious note, this was the best of the three. Your writing skills are considerably improving.Cheers!

NORM! said...

Sandzzz! I agree with the other commentors. Definitely the best of the three. Keep it up!

Natasha said...

This was excellent, precise and detailed at the same time manufactured to perfectness for the reader... it was like reading some part of an exciting novel... I wanted to know more about the girl who gave you cold shivers ... as soon as you heard her voice...
Want to know more

Suma Johnson said...

awww brings back some sweet memories of past infatuations....man do I miss being a teenager when even a glimpse of that someone (or better yet eye-contact!) would make you feel like you were on cloud nine! you should definitely google this Natasha Singh female...who knows, may be she does remember the weird guy who showed her the way to the washroom...one question though, how come there are girls washrooms in an all-boys school? best entry yet! keep on writing!

Unknown said...

This was the most enjoyable one out of the other blogs of yours! It's cute (in a manly sort of way..hehe) and detailed - on the whole, an excellent write. Keep up the good work. Just as a little aside: "At that time, there was nothing but Natasha Singh in my nut" - BAHAHAHA!

Unknown said...

Impressive! Looking forward to reading more so start writing :)