Thursday, May 14, 2009

Shoulders to hang on to.......

Everyone has had that moment in their lives, when they look back wondering, how one's life changed after a specific experience. Though initially excited, halfway through I doubted my folks' unconditional love for allowing me to move away. Later it dawned upon me, that I couldn't have scripted a better ending to my school years. My parents let me learn to run my own race, the hard way, yet not a day goes by when I do not thank them for it. Thank them so much, that I would do the same with my kids too when I reach to that.

My two years at Ootacamund, has been the 'best days of my life'-hands down.Friends became eternal to me. I write this with a few of the many interesting characters I got involved with.

Guys who I hated with passion, turned brothers from another mother. Such was my relation with Senthil a.k.a - Kaka (for reasons not to be disclosed!). From fist fights in 11th, I stood up for him even when I knew I was supporting a lost cause, in 12th. This so called 'one of the pillars of the SJC soccer team defenses' had the temper shorter than the wick of a new candle. I even lied to the authorities about my nasal operation, to attend his sister's wedding -which happened just 2 weeks before our final exams. Our study hours spiked up to 8 -10 hours a day as we closed in on our final exams. We've had fights on our Formula 1 teams, yet he used to see that he gets me out of bed by 4 in order to do that extra calculus problem. I still hold on dearly to that 'Cadbury Temptation Diwali box' and the lame letter he gave me for my birthday. If anything, that one day I went for his sister's marriage, the whole Kumar household considered me more of their own than an outsider.

Talking of considering me one of their own, the Natrajans hold a special place too. Enter this character Balaji Natarajan a.k.a Bonda (again, disclosure not considered). He was this nerd who wasn't anything close to a nerd. My envy towards him somehow changed to brotherhood. Seemingly unassuming but horribly smart, this guy was the only one who stood between me and ranker's board (We had this big blue board, on which every topper's name got engraved). Initially I hated him, just because he never tried hard, yet got results. Come our 12th grade and we became the nerd team. I am still left puzzled on how my envy turned into admiration for the guy. I remember, the day of the release of our grades, the moment I knew my grades, my fingers were already dialing an international call...Balaji picks up and says- " Da (a more loving way of addressing a loved one of the same age!) I'm happy for your 93%", though not mentioning a word about his 98% grade, fearing that I would feel dejected. I still dream of his mother's lavish lunch, which I just couldn't stop devouring, and being skinny and puny really helped. Aunt would just keep serving me more and more.

Enough said about the heroes, one of the villains in my school life was Pon Srinivas. Pon was from a background which spoke for itself. This guy had everything from Rolex watches to Skoda cars. He is a warm guy at heart but first impressions will make or break it for him. In my case, it was not just break, but SHATTERED. This guy was successful on every front, on making life miserable for me. Yet today, when I look back, I would dedicate my whole self to his tortures. I changed...changed for the good. True, he could have initiated those changes in me through better means, but then I wouldn't remember and cherish Pon for who he was. From a family of successful businesses, this guy was ever ready to help with doubts on the stock markets and the business world (which would be equivalent to today's WII's and X-boxes)...On our last day, before leaving school, he came up to me, close to tears (which was totally against his big-shot image) and apologized for his actions. He had just one line for me, which to date rings in my ears "Da, you've evolved a lot...Just do not hold any ill towards us!"

All throughout my boarding life, I thought I had no friends and that I was more in a war against those name callings and fun making. Yet, now I look back and realize that it was that same fun making, which taught me to suck up and face difficulties rather than giving up on them. I thought wrong of each and every individual who helped me get through those years. From stressful examination days to fun-filled movie nights, from fights to sticking up for each other, from homesickness to football and athletic cheers and chants, every day had a new lesson for me.
I might have fell short in appreciating it at that moment..But as my dad says "Absence makes us grow fonder". And for the past 4 years since and for time to come my Ooty days have only grown fonder!

P.S - I dedicate this blog to the rest of the EXPLOITED batch (SJC, 2004- 2005). Space doesnt permit, yet I cherish my days with each and everyone. Dineth, Pradeep, Muthu, Juzer, Shekhu, Imran, Monish, Faisal, Farhan, Saadiq, Bovas, Riju, Gopi, Arvind, Chandan, Prasena, Nirmal, Satheesh, Appachu, Roshan, Vignesh, Rizwan, Jishar,Yogesh, Rahul, Mithesh and anyone whom I 've missed. Wherever I go, whatever I do or whatever I become, you guys shall always be a part of the reason.Once a Josephite, always a Josephite - Blues and Whites!!!

5 comments:

kR said...

good one sandesh... and the previous one too.

coming back to india frm auh and living alone is a different experience in itself. u ve given a good account of it - keep writing!!

Unknown said...

WOW!! I just love you for this one. man,those were the best days. you just keep writing!!

Unknown said...

serious man u were lke gf fr tem..cnt frgt those days................tats true dude once a josephite always a josephite.....blues and whites.........

Unknown said...

well written da.. boarding does put you through a LOT.. the good times, the hard times.. enthaayalum innathe ende dhivasam poorthi aayi..

Zainab said...

I always wondered why or how you're such a nice person...I found my answer in this blog. Its the blessed Josephite spirit.
"once a Josephite, always a Josephite- Blues and Whites!!!" :)